In Sambir’s juvenile facility a cross and the cornerstone of a new chapel were blessed


  • Category:

A few days ago the cross and cornerstone of a new chapel in Sambir's juvenile correctional facility were blessed. Bishop Julian (Voronovskyj), Eparch of Sambir and Drohobych of the UGCC, led the divine celebration. Mrs. Oksana Kostenko, the deputy of Archbishop Augustine on questions of prison chaplaincy, was also present.

The prison in Sambir was built in 1905 by Austrians. The prison was placed near thecourt house (currently a pedagogical university) and joined to it with an underground passage so that the convicted could directly reach the cells. The minimum human, as well as spiritual, necessities were taken into account in the prison, and that is why a small chapel stood in its yard.

Source: Information Department of the UGCC